Harold Richard "Harry" Kenow
Harold R. Kenow was born in Faribault, MN on June 4, 1931, the oldest of four children born to Harold F. And Louise Kenow.
He received his elementary education at Trinity Lutheran School in Faribault and graduated from Faribault High School in 1949. In high school he lettered in football and wrestling and served as President of the Student Council.
Since he had become interested in teaching as a career while in the fifth grade he entered Concordia Teachers College in River Forest, IL in the fall of 1949. While attending Concordia he was involved in football, intramural and student government and was named to “Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities” in 1953.
In the fall of 1953 Harold began his teaching ministry at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Farmington, MI, a suburb of Detroit. His first class at St. Paul’s was a combination of grades 3-4-5 with about 30 students. His congregational activities included playing the organ, directing the adult and children’s choir, youth work, flag football and softball coach, and bus driver!
While serving at Farmington, Harold met Nancy Dietrich at a Walther League Zone Activity in Detroit. They were married in June of 1957. Harold and Nancy have four children, Steve, Marti, Tom, Sara, 11 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren.
During the summer of 1959 Harold began his work at St. Paul’s Lutheran in Northville, MI where he was principal and teacher of grades 5-8.
Our Saviour’s of St. Paul called him in 1963 to be principal and teacher of grades 7 and 8 at their school which had opened in 1957. In 1965 Our Saviour’s joined with Bethlehem and Eastern Heights as part of the East St. Paul Lutheran School Association. Grades 7 and 8 were departmentalized and held at the Our Saviour’s building. In 1966 grade 9 was added to the program. In 1967 grades 7-9 of East St. Paul and Gethsemane were combined. Walther Junior High was adopted as the name for this new school in 1968 (and had nothing to do with where he met Nancy). Harold became principal of Walther in 1970.
Harold returned as the principal of East St. Paul in 1976 when Mr. A. Lohse retired. Paul Puckett joined the staff of Walther Junior High and served as its principal. When Walther was dissolved in 1981, grades 7 and 8 moved back to the Our Saviour’s building. In 1983 Harold returned to the classroom to teach grade 5.
In addition to school and congregational responsibilities, Harold served as secretary of the Mission Administration Committee of the Minnesota South District for several years. He also represented the Lutheran Schools on the St. Paul Non-Public School Special Education Committee from 1984-1986, and served as member of the Teacher Intern Program at Concordia College- St. Paul.
In his retirement, Harold enjoyed many hobbies. These included gardening, woodworking, genealogy research, spending quiet time with Nancy and connecting with many family and friends. His ministry continued through leading bible classes, visiting shut-ins and playing the organ when requested.
He is teaching one last time by donating his body to the University of MN Medical School. Memorials preferred to Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church T.A.G Time (Teaching And Growing) and Music Ministries.
The family wishes to thank all our friends, our church family at Our Saviour's Lutheran and the caring thoughtful compassionate hospice caregivers with HealthEast.
Harold R. “Harry”
Beloved Husband, Dad, Grandpa
Teacher & Musician
Age 86. Survived by wife of 60 years, Nancy; children Stephen (Gayle), Marti Naughton (Jim), Tom (Marsheila) and Sara Rohde (Tony); grandchildren; great grandchildren; sister Ruth; nieces and nephews. 65 years in the teaching and music ministry. Service Monday (February 5) at OUR SAVIOUR’S LUTHERAN CHURCH, 674 Johnson Parkway at 6:00 pm with visitation starting at 4:00 pm. He is teaching one last time by donating his body to the U of M Medical School. Memorials are preferred to Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church.